Introduction: For the Least of These
This Quarter’s Study Contents
- God Created • Jun 29 – Jul 5
- Blueprint for a Better World • Jul 6 – 12
- Sabbath: A Day of Freedom• Jul 13 – 19
- Mery & Justice in Psalms & Prov • Jul 20 – 26
- The Cry of the Prophets • Jul 27 – Aug 2
- Worship the Creator • Aug 3 – 9
- Jesus and Those in Need • Aug 10 – 16
- “The Least of These” • Aug 17 – 23
- Ministry in teh NT Church • Aug 24 – 30
- Living the Gospel • Aug 31 – Sep 6
- Living the Advent Hope• Sep 7 – 13
- To Love Mercy • Sep 14 – 20
- A Community of Servants• Sep 21 – 27
For the Least of These
For I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.
Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’– Matthew 25:35-40 NKJV
Roughly 1 in 15 verses in the Bible (approximately 2,100) talk of the concern God and His people have about injustice, poverty, and oppression. These issues come up a lot. The Bible is trying to tell us something.
Our faith has a lot to offer people about living and loving well, choosing purposefully, acting meaningfully, and sharing hope.
This book is a kind of stepping-stone. It might help you see with new eyes and to hear with new ears the cries of the oppressed. It might encourage you to engage in new ways with compassion in the world around you or even somewhere on the other side of the world. Or, it might just build your compassion and encourage you to pray for the suffering of others.
Injustice is not overwhelming and it is not immovable.
Nathan Brown, author and book editor for Signs Publishing Company, based near Melbourne, Victoria, Australia wrote the companion book, For the Least of These, in the Bible Bookshelf series, available in Kindle and Paperback format. For more of Nathan Brown’s books, click this link.